Saturday, May 02, 2009

Take Two Pillows...

Good morning, 'Redheads... It's Day 2 of Blog-A Day in May and, so far, I haven't missed a day (small victories, people). I'm working on about 3 hours of sleep after doing three shows at the Baltimore Comedy Factory last night, then having to scrape myself out of bed with a spatula to come to work this morning. I am formerly hausted. Normally, I try to work my schedule so I don't have to do the day job on a Factory weekend, but things didn't quite work out this time, so I'll be spending today shambling around like an extra in a George Romero flick (brains, anyone?...anyone?). And that last show was a complete drunken fustercluck.

Allow me to explain. First, let me say that the Factory is one of my favorite clubs. The staff is great, the place is a block away from a Five Guys, and the crowds are generally awesome. However, the Factory does two things that alot of other clubs don't...they have a late late show on Friday night and they offer all-you-can-drink tickets to entice patrons. This can create a perfect storm for drunken mayhem in the audience, making it a crapshoot for the comics stepping on stage. By "crapshoot", I meant the crowd could literally begin shooting crap at you. Basically, the crowd was too drunk to want to pay attention, and those that did thought they were participating in some sloshed McLaughlin Group, with every joke being a chance for a drunk slunt (look it up) to try to make the show all about them. Oy vey. I felt like I should've started my set with, "We, who are about to die, salute you!" But that was just last night and I needed blog material. I've also been a part of some great Friday late late shows there. Just sayin'...last night's crowd stunk out loud.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the passing of two showbiz greats. Yesterday, Sin City lost one of it's biggest performers, Danny Gans. He died in is sleep at age 52. I never got to see Danny Gans, but whenever I was planning a trip to Vegas, my parents would always tell me to go to his show. He was a musical impressionist...not exactly my brand of vodka, but everyone tells me he was amazing...

Also, last weekend, the world lost Bea Arthur. Instead of thanking her for being a friend, I thought I'd share a rare clip of her with the late great Harvey Korman in... The Star Wars Holiday Special. I shit you not. Stick with it, she shows up about a minute in. Enjoy.

Bea, we hardly knew ye...

See you tomorrow...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home