Thursday, February 26, 2009

Great Expectorations

Hey there 'Redheads... Greetings from inside a NyQuil-induced haze. Oy vey, these last couple days have stunk out loud. I've been a sniffly, sneezing, coughing basketcase. I'm currently enjoying a particularly long streak of breaths without my lungs seizing up, so I wanted to sneak in one last blog before February finally fritters away. A couple quick things to hit before a chorus of codine-winged angels sing me softly to sleep.

Big thanks to the DC Improv for having me judge the UMD round of their District's Funniest College contest. It was nice to see my alma mater bare its comedic chops, clamp down on a packed house, and rip it apart. The comedy scene on the campus has evolved since I was asked to leave. When I first got there as a freshman, there was only one comedy outlet on campus, the resident improv troupe, Erasable Inc. After a couple years of trying and failing to join their ranks, a group of disgruntled cast-offs (myself included) formed a new comedy group, the sketch comedy group, Sketchup. Well, that same circle of bitter jealousy has spawned a new group that was tired of being kicked around, The Bureau...which in turn, pissed off another bunch of upstarts enough to take the collected chips on their shoulders and form another group, called Off The Wall. All of these groups now regularly rumble like the news teams in Anchorman. This new atmosphere of competition has made the wit pool on campus olympic-size. Representatives from each group, and a few folks that I'm sure feel snubbed in some way by them, all rocked the mic...very few awkward lulls in the proceedings. Go Terps. Speaking of which, it's nice to see the men's basketball team scrap their way back into the NCAA tourney conversation. The UNC win and hanging tough with Duke has given fans like myself a glimmer of realistic hope this season...keep hope alive. One sweet moment from the Duke game I would like to share. Watch as Duke's Nolan Smith hits the white brick wall known as Dave Neal...

Keeps getting funnier every time I see it.

By the time most of you read this, I'll be on the road to a gig in upstate NY at the Lake Ontario Playhouse. If any of you loyal 'Redheads find yourselves in Sacket's Harbor, NY this weekend, come check out the show. This is my first real comedy road trip of 2009, so I'm looking forward to being nostalgic about it in the next installment. My apologies if that last sentence ripped a hole in the fabric of time.

Like what you've been reading? Care to declare your...like? Oscillate on over to my Facebook fan page and be my fan. Let me into the parking garage of your heart...validate me.

To be continued...

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home