Monday, February 08, 2010

Snow Means Snow...

Hey there 'Redheads... Remember, in the last installment, when I told everyone to just get a hold of yourselves, and not give the impending snow an imposing name because it would only serve in blowing everything out of proportion? Well, upon further review... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!! Ok, nature, we get it. Enough with the cold fluffy death from above. I wasn't in town for the brunt of it, but I was watching the Georgetown game on ESPN and they kept showing exterior shots of the Verizon Center. 30+ inches in some places. You know it's a lot of snow when it's not safe to let midgets roam free. And now, we need to brace ourselves for potentially 20 inches or more. If this next storm maxes out, snowplows aren't going to cut it. We're going to need AT-ATs. When nature flexes it's muscle, why fight it? I think it's a great chance to appreciate the beauty behind the brute force. This morning I saw where the weight of the snow had brought down a tree on top of a speed camera. Now that's fuckin' beautiful. Clock that, you asshole.

Like I mentioned, I was able to skip town before the area got completely frost bitten. I made it down I-95 to one of my favorite comedy clubs, Cozzy's in Newport News, VA. I wasn't able to escape the weather entirely. We got torrential rain, which turned to snow, which turned to ice. No major accumulations, but just enough to make residents lose their minds. In order to keep from going completely stir crazy in my room that didn't have a functional remote control, I ventured out to the local multiplex. The only thing that was starting when I showed up was Avatar. I wasn't keen on seeing it, but any port in a storm. I had heard all the reviews... 3-D visuals with a 2-D story. I'll admit it. The 3-D was pretty cool. A pinata from which an endless stream of eye candy spilled. I'm pretty sure I got eyeabetes. My left eye was a bleary bloodshot mess after mainlining nearly 3 hours of smurftastic special effects. It was not ungood...
Not Cameron's best, by a long shot, but it will change the way you watch movies...they'll be more expensive now.

Once the weekend fun was done, I had to make the trek back home. I was moving at a pretty brisk clip, until I reached the rain/snow line near Fredricksburg. I-95 was a caked on mess. It was so pock marked with potholes, you'd think it had been renamed Edward James Olmos highway. The last 40 miles of my trip took roughly 2 hours, but I made it home to find a parking space carved out and my power and heat running. Not only that, but I got home in time to warm my cockles by watching my Terps beat the tar out of North Carolina. Coupled with a great win for the Caps, that would normally be a great sports weekend, but there was still the Super Bowl left to play. I enjoyed the game. It was close, there were some great signature plays, and the Colts lost, so I was happy... The one thing that irked me was the combined point total, and that it wasn't higher than the age of the band playing halftime. Seriously, The Who have been around longer than the Super Bowl. The ads were ok. Nothing really stood out among the talking babies and the screaming chickens.

After you dig out of the snowverkill, come dig me in Charm City this weekend...Print out this coupon and drinks are on the house...Bask in the warm glow of mild amusement.

To be continued...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home