Friday, January 21, 2011

Milestoned

Hey there, 'Redheads... This post is about milestones, two arbitrary and one that belongs in an episode of Ripley's Believe It Or Not (wow, I'm old). Let me rattle a few off for you. This is the 300th installment of the blog (only took me 5 1/2 years). As of yesterday's post, the blog passed the 26,000 hit mark (most of those are me constantly clicking on the blog to see how many hits I have). And, the most important one, one that will be inscribed in the annals of history, Magooby's Joke House in Baltimore broke the Guinness World Record for Longest Continuous Comedy Show last night. 81 hours of comedy. An hour and a half of which was my brand of mild amusement. I had the good fortune of having some cherry time slots. 8pm is a perfectly normal time for comedy. Kudos to my comedy comrades who got on stage at noon or 4am. That's when comedy is passed out. According to the rules, there had to be at least ten people in the audience, and at those times, that's about all that was there. Apparently, over the 81 hours, we averaged 42 people a show. That was helped by the near sell out crowd we had for the final three hours. Here's my set from last night. The video has the tail end of Jim Meyer's set, then me, then Ayanna Dookie. There's some new stuff in there, but I had to play the hits to fill the half hour.

Since there were so many comics involved in this, I'm thinking we should get a plaque or a trophy with everyone's name on it to commemorate. A Comedy Stanley Cup, or something. Anyway, thanks to everyone who came out and supported us. The fact that a club in Timonium was able to break a record that was held by a club in L.A. really says something about the comedy scene 'round these parts. And it was all for a great cause. I think we raised over $30,000 for Special Olympics. That's my good deed for the year.

I neglected to mention my playoff pick results on Monday. Once again, I went 2-2. I was right about it being a bad weekend for things that fly. All of the birds went down like a game of Duck Hunt. All that was missing was that dog to laugh at them...The one game that no one picked was the Jets-Patriots tilt. Tom Brady and the Pats crapped in their hat (almost sounds like a Dr. Seuss book). The Jets talk more trash than Oscar the Grouch, so it was nice to see them actually back it up, even though I picked the Pats. The game will probably be remembered best for the epic on-field post game interview that Bart Scott gave to Sal Pal...
So, in the hopes that I can continue my .500 playoff pick record, let's pull out the magic dart board and look at the championship match-ups for this weekend. In the NFC, I've been picking the cheeseheads this long, so I don't see any reason to jump off the wheel of gouda at this point. In the AFC, as fun as it would be to have Rex Ryan in the SuperBowl, just for the quotes in the two weeks leading up to it, I gotta go with Big Ben and the Steelers. Besides, I can't think of two teams that'd piss off Jerry Jones more to have in his house on the NFL's biggest night.

See you Monday... Can't wait!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home