Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Prognostication, Baby...

Hey there, 'Redheads... I don't have a clever coherent framework for all of the crap I want to get to in this installment, so pardon me if today's batch of self-important blather seems a little scatter shot.

I hope everyone has let their livers sleep in a couple hours the last couple days to prepare for the all-day pickling it's going to get on St. Patrick's Day. St. Patrick was apparently the patron saint of blacking out and holding your hair while vomiting. I've reached that certain age when drinking for distance no longer does anything for me. Sure, I'll wear some green and kick a ginger, but you won't see me out at a bar wading through a sea of Guinness. That is ground zero for drunken douchebaggery. I'm Jewish, so I can't give up crap like that for Lent. The Jewish equivalent would be called Owed, I guess. I'm here all week. Try the fish fillet. But none of that matters, because everyone is Irish on St. Patty's Day. Even these guys...



I did a show up in Timonium, MD, which was named for the element on the periodic chart that conducts polite chuckling, on Sunday. I encountered the strangest form of heckling I've ever received. Towards the end of my set, a couple drunken Timoniites started growling and barking at me, just enough to throw me off my Swiss precision joke rhythm. I tried to ignore it, mostly because addressing it directly meant bringing everything to a screeching halt to deal with people who weren't going to care or understand what I had to say in response. Plus, on the off chance one of them genuinely had Tourette's, I didn't want to look like a dick. I made some lame joke about them eating kibble and shutting the fuck up. Did I mention I'm horrible with hecklers? So many better comebacks showed up late to my brain as I was driving home. "Y'ever see Old Yeller, asshole?" or "Howabout to go back to the bar and sniff your friend's ass?" or "Play dead." I just wanted to vent that out, because I'd never heard of anyone growling or barking at a comedian before.

I can't let that bother me, because it's the most wonderful time of the year. Tourney Time. The time when my productivity plummets (granted, it doesn't have far to fall) as I crunch all of the numbers, knowing that my brackets are going to be more brittle than Haiti's infrastructure. This year, just about anybody can take it. I'm hoping this is the year that a #16 seed beats a #1 seed. And I hope that #1 seed is Duke. So, just to get my picks on record, here are my picks to click for the NCAA Tournament...

-In the Midwest corner of the bracket, where my Terps reside, referred to as the "group of death", it's going to come down to the winner of Georgetown vs. Ohio St. I'm a homer, so I picked the Hoyas over the Buckeyes to get to the Final Four. I love my Terps, and I have them making a respectable run to the Sweet 16, but that's all.
-From the West region, I've got Syracuse in a cake walk to the Final Four as the only #1 seed to make it.
-Out of the East, where I have Cornell making it to the Sweet 16, I'll take Texas to reclaim the perch they got knocked off of early in the season and make it to the Final Four.
-In the South, where I have Duke losing in the second round to Louisville, I think Baylor makes it to the Final Four.
-So, Georgetown faces Syracuse for the fourth time this season with a shot at the national championship on the line and two Texas teams go at it on the other side of the bracket. I'll take Syracuse vs. Baylor for the championship. Go Orange. Now, look for Syracuse to lose to Vermont.

Let the games begin...

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home