Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Unfinished Blogness, Part 2: Nuggets

Hey there, 'Redheads... As promised in the previous installment, here's another ladle of bloggy goodness that I'm hoping is still good slightly past the sell by date. Before we dive in, I would be remiss if I didn't mention two things. First, to all of our enlisted men an women, a happy Veteran's Day. Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won. Here's to America's colors, the colors that never run. May the wings of liberty never lose a feather. Second, a happy belated 40th birthday to Sesame Street. Here's to another 40 years of sunny days sweeping the clouds away. Don't party too hard...

Speaking of my googily-eyed babysitters, I spotted a story online that made me weep for the youth of today...

Sesame Street Dig at POX News Draws Backlash, Rebuke From PBS - A 2-year-old skit on Sesame Street that referenced a "trashy" news channel called POX News came under fire this week when conservative bloggers accused the long-running PBS series of a liberal bias. In the clip, Oscar the Grouch is a reporter for the Grouch News Network (GNN), but he bored one female viewer, who responds: "From now on, I'm watching Pox News. Now there's a trashy news show!" Big Hollywood, the celeb blog founded by conservative writer Andrew Breitbart, called out the old skit (re-run this week) as a jab at the mega popular news network. "The message is clear," a blogger named Stage Right noted, "I can't even sit my kids in front of Sesame Street without having to worry about the Left attempting to undermine my authority."

Really? You're lumping Sesame Street into the liberal media? Let's get a hold of ourselves here, people. Here's a Muppet News Flash for you, last time I checked, Sesame Street is a children's show. I'm pretty sure my 3 year-old nephew doesn't know what a liberal bias is, let alone his left from his right, period. He just knows he likes Elmo. Like any show on television it's trying to stay current and timely with a couple references to pop culture. If Oscar the Grouch can undermine your authority as a parent, maybe it's time to put down the Tickle-Me-Limbaugh and start spending some time with little Newt. Seeing a liberal bias in Sesame Street is like seeing Darth Vader on your morning toast, and that's just...
You are what you eat, is all I'm saying. Let's let Big Bird and the gang the gang teach kids about sharing without calling them communists, ok?

We'll be right back after this quick word from our sponsor...

...and we're back.

Here's another story that caught my eye...

HACKENSACK, N.J. - A jury convicted a Florida man Friday of murdering his former son-in-law, rejecting the man's defense that he was too fat to have run up and down a flight of stairs to commit the crime and make a quick getaway. Edward Ates looked down and shook his head in court as he was found guilty of murder charges.

The evidence against him was pretty solid. The CSI found his powdered sugar finger prints all over the murder weapon. All joking aside, this is a sad story. This means when I eat an entire sleeve of Thin Mints, I can't call it "establishing an alibi" anymore...ok, not all joking aside. Anybody else catch the guy's last name? Ates. If you're taking notes at home, kids, that story was brought to you by irony.

Before I sign off, here's another piece of eye candy for you to suck on...



To be continued...

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home