Thursday, October 08, 2009

Undead, Fundead...

Hey there 'Redheads... The usual combination of sloth and procrastination has kept me from updating the blog in a timely fashion. September slipped by with only three lousy installments, but I'm hoping for a stout and hearty Blogtober. Much like Christmas takes over all of December, this month gets swallowed by the jack o'lantern's maw of Halloween. If it's dead, undead, or screaming its last breath, this is the time to indulge all of your morbid curiosities. If you're still reading, you've probably noticed that the laughter was strangled out of this blog a couple sentences ago...

Among my favorite macabre mascots are zombies, which is why I give two severed thumbs up to Zombieland. Easily, the best zomedy since Shaun of the Dead and a great zombie movie period. It'll eat your brain and slurp the marrow from your funny bone. From the driving opening credits set to Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" to a brilliant homage to the greatest paranormal comedy ever made, this is the most fun you'll have watching the world end. After the movie, I bumped into a couple people who thought it was a documentary...

When it comes to zombies, some people are divided on a key issue: shamblers or sprinters? Zombie purists prefer their undead to shuffle toward their prey with excruciating inevitability. The 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead gave us zombies that could full on sprint. It just depends how you want your brains eaten. I kind of prefer the shamblers, only because I'd like to think I could outrun a dead guy. I need to get back to the gym. Right now, the only way I break a sweat is if I freeze some then drop it on the floor. But I digress. One last cool zombie thing before I move on. Check this out...
Right now, that's just a fan trailer for a book, but here's hoping that George Lucas is looking to shake a few more nickels out of us soon. I'd buy that for a dollar.

You know who else is hoping that book gets made into a movie? R. Kelly...

R&B singer/songwriter R. Kelly revealed that despite his musical talents, he suffers from illiteracy and barely made it through grade school. The Grammy winner recently spoke at the Midwest Music Festival in Chicago, about the trials and tribulations of starting his career.

I guess that's one less thing the "R" stands for. Now that I think about it, that probably explains why he shortened it to R. It might also explain the complex metaphor, "You remind me of my jeep." Anybody else catch the curious word choice in that blurb? He "suffers" from illiteracy. Last time I checked, there wasn't a book allergy. He can suffer from dyslexia, but outside of that I'm guessing it's a raging case of stupid. If illiteracy was contagious, it would be impossible to diagnose it from WebMD.

Before I wrap things up, the DC area lost an icon today. Ben Ali, the man behind Ben's Chili Bowl died at age 82 of congestive heart failure. I've enjoyed many a Ben's half-smoke during this past baseball season. Most times, it was best part of the Nats games. Keep your eyes peeled for a Bill Cosby sighting. I'm sure he'll be in town to pay his respects...and give a rambling eulogy. Ben, you'll live on inside us all.

That's all for now. My illiteracy is flaring up...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home