Monday, January 12, 2009

Fanuary

Hey there 'Redheads... How's your year been so far? We're roughly two weeks in and I must say, mine is doing well to keep my low expectations and false hopes alive. The last installment was a quick one, so I've got about six pounds of crap to cram into this five pound bag of bunk. First, you may have noted the title. Why not kick off '09 with some patented (pending) '08 stunt blogging that's past it's sell-by date? Consider this a pledge drive of sorts. Since MySpace has become the light rock on the social network radio dial, I figured I'd start to dig my heels in over on Facebook. Take a gander over at the right-hand side of the blog and you'll see the link to my Facebook fan page (where it says BECOME A 'REDHEAD). Click on it and pledge your digital devotion in my general direction.

Big thanks to Charm City and the crackerjack staff at the Baltimore Comedy Factory for yet another great weekend on their stage. We had some fun shows, despite a couple being lightly attended. Our first show on Saturday night fell victim to the juggernaut of the NFL Playoffs...specifically, the Ravens game. All of Baltimore was glued to a bar stool in front a flat screen tv, mainlining beer and chicken wings, while the Ravens plucked out the eyes of the Titans. There was about 25 people at the show...most of them Steelers fans. We still had fun. I was pretty psyched, because I test drove some brand new material all weekend and it's a keeper. Speaking of the playoffs, I'm pretty sure if the Cardinals go to the SuperBowl, the seismic force of every football fan in America simultaneously smacking themselves in the forehead, will cause a tsunami that will swallow Tampa Bay. So...Go Eagles.

We'll be right back after this brief message...



...and we're back. The economy is rough, so I figured I'd sell commercial time on the blog. I'm also leasing out my left nostril to that family in the Mucinex ad. Tough times.

I would be remiss, if I didn't mention the recent sinking of the good ship Wiseacres. They closed their doors pretty much right after the ball dropped. After getting my feet wet up in Baltimore, my formative comedy years were spent on the Wiseacres stage. I recorded my comedy cd there. It's a big loss for the area comedy scene. It was the only regular weekly open mic held at an actual comedy club. When your primary goal is to eventually get work at a comedy club, there's no better feedback you can get than from a comedy club crowd. Plus, it was a great place to hang out with your brothers and sisters in arms and shoot the shit in a Cheers meets Mos Eisley atmosphere...a wretched hive of scum and villainy where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. Hopefully, the hole it leaves will eventually get plugged.

Does everyone have their plans for the big inaugural festivities? This city is about to get swarmed with hope and smothered by idealism. They're projecting 4 million people will show up in DC...4 million people who don't know their way around. And I'm going to be right in the thick of the clusterfuckery (look it up). I finagled tickets to the Black Tie & Boots Inaugural Ball put on by the Texas State Society. Anyone know where I can find a pair a of cowboy boots and a bola tie?

To be continued...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home