Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Take a Look, It's in a Book...

Hey there 'Redheads... Happy Hump Day to you and yours. Since I started writing this blog on a weekdaily basis, you might have noticed that, on some days, the content can be a little thin. There've been some days where flies have been buzzing around the blog's eyes. So, I'm a big fan when the news drops a turnip in my lap from which I can squeeze some blood...

From the Washington Post: Yet another analog bookseller has taken a step closer to a digital demise. Borders filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy this morning, hoping to restructure its finances and reboot its operations.

That's right, folks, Borders has filed for Chapter 11. Why don't they just wait for the movie to come out? I'm guessing that's not Chapter 11 of "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." Don't spoil it for me. I haven't gotten past Chapter 3 yet. Gee, I wonder where Borders could find information about navigating a bankruptcy? If you go to a Borders and there's a copy of "Bankruptcy For Dummies" left on the shelf, then they're just not trying. I bet there's at least one guy in Arizona who woke up this morning, saw the story about Borders closing and said, "'Bout time." What sucks is, most people probably read this story online. Everything is online now. I'm not writing this with a quill and ink. It's only a matter of time before books are quaint relics. It stinks, but it's true. Our culture is lazy, and books are heavy. You can put an entire library on an iPad now. This is bad news for a large segment of our economy. Makers of bookshelves and sassy bookmarks will have to find a new skill set. The loss of Borders is a mixed blessing, if you think about it. That's one less place where people can buy Snooki's book.

Speaking of light reading, I passed a sign on the beltway that said "DUI Enforcement Area". That seems to imply that in every other area, they'll just let it slide.

See you Thursday.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home