Thursday, July 15, 2010

Don't Have a Title... I Should Join The Heat...

Hey there 'Redheads... Welcome back to your nearly weekly dose of flim-flammery. I bring you reheated news that's been piling up whilst I twiddle my thumbs and wait for the other eight fingers to muster up the energy to get typing. For example, did you guys hear that LeBron is joining D-Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami? I know! Why do they keep these things from us? A lot of clever names are being bandied about as the sports world tries to figure out what to call this new power trio: The 3 My-Egos, Miami Thrice, The Yankees. All of them are good tries, but I know what I'll be calling them. The N.W.O. Check out this video from WCW's 1996 Bash At The Beach. As my comedy buddy, Ryan Conner, pointed out, it completely parallels the Lebron situation, right down to the fan outrage...
Even if you're not a fan of wrestling, the similarities are eerie. I'm hoping this new storyline will make next year's NBA season halfway interesting. And LeBron better smack Kobe upside the head with a steel chair.

Speaking of fan outrage, I'd like to express a little of my own about Predators. I had fooled myself into thinking that my expectations were lower than Verne Troyer looking for a missing contact lens, but in my heart of hearts, I wanted this movie to be good. The Predator franchise deserved a decent sequel. And they got us fanboys all in a lather because the called it Predators, so it'll be like Aliens was to Alien, right? And they lied to us in the previews by giving us WTF shots like this...Turns out, that bad ass shot isn't even in the movie. It was just shot for the preview. And all of the action scenes in the last half of the movie are shot in the dark, so you can't make out what the hell is going on. What should have been a great fight between a Yakuza killer with a samurai sword and a Predator, ended up being so muddled it wouldn'tve made it past the cutting room for Power Rangers. For those of you who haven't seen it, the premise is basically that the best killers from our world (and Topher Grace) are air dropped onto an alien planet that serves as a Predator hunting ground. My big complaint for the movie as a whole was that the filmmakers took it for granted that we know how the Predators operate and do nothing to establish their tactics or technology. In the first Predator, you got to see Ahnold noodle things through, adapt to his dire situation, and match wits with the Predator. In this one, they just shoehorned in a final confrontation with Adrien Brody spouting lines from the first movie out of context, just to get a rise out of us. There were so many forced call backs, you might as well have just had the cast of this film reminisce about the first one. Also, and this was a major missed opportunity, they did NOTHING to acknowledge the firepower that Adrien Brody was packing. His character had an AA-12. Just watch...
It makes the mini-gun Jesse Ventura was toting look like a super soaker. There are a host of other things wrong with the flick but, long story short, save your money. If you want to see a great character-driven monster movie, go watch Aliens or Pitch Black.

Here's an item that caught my eye...

Larry Hagman of 'Dallas' fame becomes the new face of SolarWorld - Actor Larry Hagman was all about petroleum when he played oil magnate J.R. Ewing in television's long running "Dallas" series. These days, he's pitching solar energy with a new slogan -- "Shine, baby, shine," -- soon to air on a television near you. Hagman is the face of a new ad campaign for SolarWorld.

This story struck me because... Larry Hagman is still alive? Forget pushing solar energy, I thought he was pushing daisies five years ago. He's probably advocating solar energy out of self-preservation, since he could be used as fossil fuel. Also, I think this is the face I'd want selling my product...Use solar energy or Larry Hagman will swallow your soul.

Wow, I haven't even gotten to my fever dream of a trip to Natural Bridge, VA. It deserves it's own blog, but I can tease you with this in the meantime...

To be continued...

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home