Sunday, February 19, 2006

I'm Good Enough... I'm Smart Enough...

Hey 'Redheads... Today's installment is not intended to be particularly funny. I'll try and meet the laugh quota with the next one. Maybe this one can provide some motivation to those of you who might need a nudge in a positive direction.

I've been stuck in a rut recently. In comedy and life in general. While I have been working more, I haven't progressed any as a performer in the last six months. I've been complacent about writing (this blog aside), developing material (choosing to fall back on the hits), and just plain getting out of the house and doing stuff. This sloth has led to a blue funk about where I am, the time I've wasted, and where I'm headed.
Rory Scovel made some great points in a recent blog of his about the first couple years of a comic's development. This is the time to get comfortable as a performer, get an inkling of what you want to say, and to take an active role in the comedy community. I've lost sight of these things of late, and after getting a chance to see some of the very talented people in the area and their dedication to those goals, I've resolved to get off my ass and become more active in the DC scene.

Here is a list of affirmations I've come up with to ensure that I don't fall into the same traps that I have in the past. Maybe they can help you too:

I will not measure myself by the successes of my peers.

I will accept compliments.

I will take criticism.

I will not let either go to my head.

I will assume nothing.

I will communicate always.

I realize this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I will fail on stage in order to succeed on stage.

I will write a funny, unpretentious blog next time...ok, maybe just funny.


To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home