Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Play the Music, Light the Lights

Hey there, 'Redheads... Welcome to, you guessed it, Blogust. Like all of the previous months with "blog" crammed into the name, I'll continue to churn out the usual mediocre fare and try to dress it up so you think I'm doing something special for you...and fool myself into thinking you give a goddamn either way...
Tomorrow starts a nice string of shows this week, including two contests. Two separate chances to have my soul subjectively stepped on. Let the games begin.

Wednesday, I throw my hat into the comedy marathon that is the Funniest Person in Baltimore contest. I call it a marathon not because of its length, but because once it's done I usually have chapped nipples and I've been beaten by a Kenyan. I'm usually lucky if I'm the funniest person in my apartment, so this'll be a fun five minutes. I always relish the chance to play the Comedy Factory and, speaking of relish, there's a Five Guys about a block away...I'm already a winner.

I won't have long to lick my wounds, because on Thursday I head to the DC Improv to butt heads with seven of DC's finest. The winner representing DC in Vegas at the HBO Comedy Festival Lucky 21 Showcase. I'm up against Rob Maher, Joe Robinson, Erin Jackson, Chris White, Seaton Smith, Randolph T, and Jon Mumma...I'm usually a gambling man, but don't bet on "Jew" in this one. I'm just happy to be included. I cannot recommend this show enough. Sure, it's a local showcase and you can see most of the participants for free on a given night, but rarely do you get an Ocean's Eleven line-up like this altogether on one show. You will laugh lots. Click the link for tix and info...

Hopefully, I have some ego left for the weekend, when I skip town to play one of my favorite little clubs, Cozzy's in Newport News, VA. It's a fun joint, the staff is great, and they ply their audiences with jello shots before each show...what could possibly go wrong?

I should mention a couple comedy comings and goings on the local scene. There's been a mass exodus from DC to NY. Too many names to mention, but I wish you all well...if you should need a key grip or best boy on your movie or TV show, please keep me in mind. There are a couple folks that're taking a slightly longer trip. On Wednesday, there'll be a send-off at Wiseacre's for house MC, Brian McClure. He's being shipped off to Iraq. Apparently, he's bombed here so many times, our military considers his comedy weapons-grade. Please join me in wishing him a hasty and safe return. Also, a belated bon voyage to Jim Elliott. Jim moved to Dublin, where Guinness runs out of the faucets. He has a MUCH better travel agent than Brian. Jim, may your time in Dublin be magically delicious. And, finally, DC welcomes back into the fold comedy savant, Erik Myers. Erik has been walking the Earth (like Cain in Kung-Fu) for the last six months, solving mysteries, helping people, and searching for a six-fingered man. Now he's back in town and poised to start snappin' funny bones.

To be continued...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home