Thursday, September 28, 2006

Me + 1 Year = Fun

Hey there 'Redheads... This blog's usual home is on the fritz, so I figured I'd try my first stab at a post here on the digital playground of MySpace. Even if Blogger didn't take a shit, that's no excuse for the near 10 day lag since the last installment. I've been busier than usual with what's turned into a week-long celebration of the big 3-1. But what do I always do when I keep my loyal readers waitng...? That's right, this'll be an extra meaty serving of blog-a-roni. Please bear with me, though...alot of my thoughts are still in boxes...

So, the first week of the rest of my life has been pretty cool thusfar. I've been basking in the weeklong warm glow of birthday candles stuck in the slightly melted blowhole of Fudgy the Whale. With the revelry, has come mass consumption. I ate so much this week, Kevin Spacey could've used me to illustrate Gluttony in Seven. Let's recap...
MONDAY - The official par-tay for the passage of time as it relates to me. I sent out a mass email to all the people I thought might give a damn to join me for libations at RFD in Chinatown, in the hopes that maybe two or three would show up. Attendance far exceeded my low expectations. It was very cool to see all of my various subsets of friends interacting...sort of like a support group for people who put up with me. Thanks again to my good friends, Chris, Jerry, Pam, Belen, Chrissy, Glen, Caryn, and Chris G (and thanks to MySpace, they can be your friends too!).
Total food intake: 3 Young's Double-Chocolate Stouts and a bratwurst.
TUESDAY - I went to the Nats/Phillies game with fan of all things Philadelphian, Chris White. The man bleeds cheez whiz. I'm not usually a big fan of baseball...it bores the crap out of me on TV, but any live sporting event is enough to keep me interested. Half the fun was watching Chris tear his hair out, while he watched his dear Phillies' playoff hopes crack like the Liberty Bell. 3/8ths of the fun is watching the game. That last sliver, for me anyway, was the discovery of my new favorite athlete name: Nook Logan. I'm fascinated by this name. Is he part Eskimo, and it's short for Nanook? Was he conceived in the breakfast nook? Does he have a sister named Cranny? Not since D'Brickashaw, has an athlete's name baffled me so.
Total food intake: a chicken tenders basket w/fries
WEDNESDAY - I drove up to Columbia to visit my good friends Seth and Alison and their new daughter, Hannah.


Seth got carry-out from Outback Steakhouse (I have the number on speed-dial) and we did battle on the digital gridiron of Madden. I won't bore you with the details (yes, I know, why stop now?), suffice it to say his excuse was that he let me win because it was my birthday.
Total food intake: a Bloomin' Onion, a house salad, and a 12oz. steak w/mashed potatoes.
THURSDAY - I joined my friends, Greg and Melanie, for yet another birthday dinner, at a Gaithersburg institution, Roy's Place. Home to over 200 sandwiches. If you're ever in the area, do yourself a favor. Here's what I had:

118.THE DRACULATM (A bloody mess.)
Two Polish sausages wrapped in bacon, with broiled provolone cheese, buried in cole slaw & Russian dressing on French bread

When I described it to my friend, Chrissy, I believe her response was, "That would make me puke before I had my heart attack." It was deeeelicious. I crapped dark matter afterward, but it was a small price to pay.
Total food intake: a bowl of New England clam chowder, a slice of chocolate mousse cake, and the aforementioned monstrosity.

So, at this point, I'm only a couple pounds away from having my own gravitational pull. I don't mind, though. This has been a good week. Happy Birthday to me.

Before I go, I'd like to throw two cents in on a story from this past week. The would-be T.O. suicide attempt that's been downgraded to an accidental overdose. Don't think that makes it any less serious. Dr. David Banner had an accidental overdose of gamma radiation that altered his body chemistry. Now, whenever he becomes angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs...sorry...got off-track. If T.O. indeed had attempted suicide, and succeeded, I think the Dallas Cowboys should've been awarded and automatic playoff bid. Sorta like if your roommate in college offs himself, you get straight A's. Also, if it was a suicide attempt, I think it unfairly raises the bar for America's hopeless...
This guy is making millions of dollars, is a superstar in the NFL, and went to a SuperBowl, and he wants to kill himself??...my life must really not be worth living...
The suicidal have enough to worry about without you making them seem more mundane and uninteresting.

A heads-up for all of my 'Redheads in the greater Bethesda area, I'll be doing a set on the weekly showcase at the Bethesda Hyatt on Oct. 7th. Make the necessary arrangements to be there...we'll hang.

Hopefully, things'll get themselves corrected, and I'll be back at blog HQ soon. In the meantime, please feel free to take advantage of the ample comment space below.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home